Ok...so for those of you that are actually reading this and don't know yet, I have a bum hip (technically an enflamed muscle attached to my hip joint). I have no idea how this originally happened, but it did. I have been going to physical therapy for the past week and a half and started going back to the gym on Sunday because my PT said I was allowed to do the bike and the elliptical.
So that's the background...PT has been going well. I found a great place in an Equinox gym (p.s. Equinox is SUCH a nice gym!)...and I've gone three times so far. This weekend I finally went back to the gym, which felt great, and did the elliptical and bike. I can do those because I mostly feel the pain on impact, which those two exercises don't provide thankfully. This morning I went to PT and usually I feel good afterward, but this time my leg didn't feel any better. At the moment I'm sitting here with an ice pack, because I've been getting crazy twinges every so often on my hip. So yes, my leg is definitely not my friend today. It is kind of hard to avoid your hip, so here I am. It is a little discouraging, but really...as mushy as it is, whenever I see the picture of the little guy, it brings me back to all that matters.
Well...that's enough complaining for one day, onto the "other ponderings" portion of the post. As time has gone on throughout this process of so-called "training" I have encountered a handful of people who are running other half or full marathons for various reasons. Some at work, some old friends...and not even marathons but some are doing three day walks, etc. and it is so inspiring to hear all of their reasons behind running/walking. I haven't told too many people, but I have been incredibly overwhelmed by the support we have gotten in our run thus far. Even just with friends of my cousins who have agreed to run for a cause and a person they know nothing about. I have had old friends that I haven't seen in years, but just happen to be running the Philly Marathon, join our cause. It is one of the most amazing ways to bring people together, and I don't know if I can ever express my true gratitude to all those who have committed their time and strength. I have even heard rumors that my grandmother's sister (the fabulous Aunt Bette) is trying to recruit runners from her side of the family to join us. I know that some of my friends had wanted to join but they are already doing marathons/walks of their own, which I think is commendable enough...it is truly times like these that make me love the group that I have been lucky enough to surround myself with. Even in the encouragement of a complete stranger...every little bit helps.
That is as far as my mind will take me at the moment...thank you for reading/supporting/loving/et al.
peace.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment