Thursday, August 27, 2009

From Hip to Back

Things are progressing...now, with that said, things with my hip are progressing. Unfortunately I will have to return to PT after my trip to Peru (yes, Peru on Saturday!) for my back. So, I'm not quite back to running yet, but I'm getting there.
It's funny...before I told you about that sign "BELIEVE" with the marathon runners on the wall at PT, and well...the past few times there have been moments throughout my session where I get serious and very reflective on what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. It is those moments that keep me going. I have done many fundraisers over the years and the only one that comes close to being as personal as this one is when I used to run groups from Fordham to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Walk in Central Park. I have had many people in my life touched by breast cancer, but still none in my direct family. I feel very driven to run this marathon, and yet my body is holding me back, so when I get back from Peru I'm going to try to kick things into gear in the fundraising department at least. Do what I can, ya know?
Another sign that hits me twice a week as I leave PT is this great ad for some kind of insurance. It has a picture of an older father and his adult son running a marathon together. The twist is...the son is in a wheelchair. The caption reads something like this, "He has seen him through 65 marathons." I find this so inspiring, and wish more than anything I could bring Trey through these 13.1 miles with me. Unfortunately I think I'll have to do this one without him, although I know he will be there cheering me on. I am going to do this again however, and I do plan on bringing him with me.
One thing that this whole situation has definitely taught me is to take it easy, and when your body is telling you something, listen. PT has actually worked for my hip, and I had been just dealing with that pain for a little while until it became too much. Now that my back is acting up and I have confidence that the PT will work, I will no longer just deal with the pain. It has been very humbling to not be able to go all out in exercise like I was used to...down from a level 6 to a level 1 with no resistance, and just going slow even if things don't hurt at the time.
Saturday I leave for Peru where I will probably be seeing some of the most beautiful sites in the world. I am looking forward to having this time to get focused and motivated for these next two and a half months until the race. So...until then, thanks for reading, thanks for the support and be well!


peace.

1 comment:

  1. Keep at it Sonny! You'll be fine. Persistence is the key! Uncle Chris

    ReplyDelete