Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's More Than Just A Race

I've been thinking a lot lately (since I can't do much running, I've been doing a lot of thinking, ha)...and remembering the bigger picture behind this race. Yes, that would be the amazing Trey, but it goes even deeper for me. Not many people, beyond my immediate family, know about the fact that Children's Hospital was a huge part of my life when I was younger too. I was really sick from ages 1-3 and my parents took me to CHOP. At the time we were living down the shore, so while I stayed in the hospital my parents would travel back and forth from Ocean City, never leaving my side. I have a very selective memory from my time at CHOP from when I was little, but I do know that they also used their expertise to pretty much save my life as they have time after time for my brother. The nurses there used to give me Drumsticks (the ice cream, not what my dad uses to play his drums) after my procedures and all, which is why they are definitely my favorite late night treat.

I'm still not a huge fan of going back to CHOP because I still get that feeling of being a scared 3 year old, but at the same time I am so happy to know that they have been giving my brother the same amazing treatment that they gave me over 20 years ago. Life-saving treatment at that.

Trey has been through a lot in his very quick 13 (almost 14) years, and has opened our eyes to so many things. While there have been many hard times throughout this period, I choose to have a selective memory, such as I do with my time in CHOP, and remember the amazing times we've had together, and continue to look forward to all of the fun and exciting memories we have yet to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment