The other day I was, admittedly, a little bored at work and found myself stumbling around Facebook, until I came upon a familiar post. My friend Kathleen, whom I haven't talked to in a while, from Fordham is actually running a half-marathon in New England in a month or so to raise money for leukemia and other blood cancers. The team was set up to help out her friend's brother, who is suffering from this disease. Without thinking I found myself donating a little to the cause, since I obviously can understand the situation.
A little while after I made my donation I received an appreciative email from Kathleen's friend, thanking me for my donation. From there we kind of had a back and forth discourse introducing ourselves and relating to our respective races and the reasoning behind them. I was so impressed with how she reached out, and she was so kind in offering an understanding listening ear if I were to ever need one. Someone I don't even know, and yet so willing to help. It is truly these unsolicited acts of kindness that keep my days going sometimes.
I remember being in Mexico on my service trip Junior year with Fordham and one of the volunteers with Los Ninos had siblings similar to Trey. We sat for at least an hour one night and shared stories on an old carseat outside the front of the house we were staying in. Even though I haven't spoken to Emily since that summer, again, it was that kindness of her support and understanding that I will never forget and truly added to the depth of the trip and my time in Mexico.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment