Thursday, July 2, 2009

Almost Didn't Make It Today

This morning was a rough one. I woke up on time to get out and run early, but as soon as I looked out the window it looked as if it had just rained, or it was about to...and well, I'm not nearly the serious runner yet to feel the need to run in the rain, ha. So I went back to sleep...just for 15 minutes or so. I then woke up and forced myself out of bed and made the committment to go to the Y. As soon as I thought about this, I realized I'd have to buy a new lock (see entry from Sunday). On my walk to the subway I checked my local Rite Aid with no luck (can you believe it doesn't open until 8a.m.!!! I'm so used to everything else in the city being 24 hours, and the CVS at home, that this not being open as early even as 7 is astounding to me. I was able to get a lock at the Duane Reade (NYC's version of CVS, ha) by the Y and I was on my way.

Now...I consider myself a somewhat smart person, but this lock had me stumped. I was able to set my own combination and was supposed to just go from there. For some reason I am not lock setting literate at all, and this honestly took me about 15 minutes to figure out...no kidding, ha. At various moments within this 15 minutes I was very ready to just give up and go sit in my office and watch TV for a few hours, ha...considering it was only 8a.m. The silliest little thing was getting me discouraged, but I am so glad I didn't just throw the lock out and move on.

Ok, now onto the real running of the morning. Again, I was just amazed that I got up and out at all this morning. With how dark it is right now (surprise! it's going to rain today!) it would be the perfect day to just sleep until the absolute last minute possible. But, alas! I was able to make it out of bed and onto the treadmill. As an aside, I hate the treadmill, ha...I would much rather be outside and I was kicking myself the entire time I was there because it definitely wasn't raining outside. This morning was good though...I pushed myself a little harder and was able to run a full two miles around a 12 minute pace and then I walked 1/2 mile and then ran the second 1/2 mile a little harder than the first full two miles. I was able to push through and it felt so good. It was kind of weird, honestly. Around the 1.5 marker of the first two miles I felt a weird calm and I just knew I could press on for the extra 1/2 mile. It was pretty cool, especially since I felt as if I was struggling a bit in the first mile.

So yeah...it was a good morning. And...just as a funny story, as I was in the locker room there was a camp group of young girls (maybe early teens, probably in the 12-13 range) complaining about how their brother's and dad's can eat whatever they want and still be rail thin, hahaha...it never changes.


And...in the words of the tribe...peace now, freedom now! HAVE A GREAT FOURTH OF JULY!!!


peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment