Not to gloat, but I'm pretty proud of myself this morning, ha. I actually woke up at 6:00a.m., was out of the apartment by 6:35a.m. and down to the reservoir at 6:55a.m.!!! I really can't believe I did this, ha. I even went to sleep last night around 10:30, possibly earlier! haha. It was hard to fall asleep at first, because I haven't been going to sleep until after 12:00 lately. But...I did it, and I made it to the park this morning!
Thankfully it is actually beautiful today! Rare, I know. So that was a huge added incentive in getting up to run. Now, the one thing about running in New York City, and I'm sure it's the same in most large cities, is that there is no way to get around all of the "stuff" you have to bring with you every time you leave your apartment, ha. I had my Ipod, my phone (which sure, I probably didn't need), my MetroCard, the key fob (magnetic thingy) to open the front door to my building and then the key to my actual apartment, ha. That's a mouthful! So this is what I did...I carried the Ipod and phone, one in each hand, stuck the MetroCard in my shorts, ha...and I ended up putting my apartment key in my mailbox, because it's a pretty big key, definitely not something that should go in my shoe...and I instead put my mail key in my shoe. Phew...did you get all that?
At 7:00a.m. Central Park is packed. I'm sure the running commences as the sun rises, probably a little before that even, I can't even imagine. Those are the serious runners/bikers, and you're definitely taking your life into your own hands as you cross the street in the Park and basically play human Frogger avoiding the bicycles and runners as they zoom past doing the big 6 mile loop around the whole park. If you get hit, it's your own fault, how dare you be in their path? And if you go too slow, you may get someone screaming "LEFT!!!" in your ear, ha...so just beware. And yet, among all the people, I was amazed at how quiet it all seemed. I broke the silence, yet again, with the soundtrack to HAIR...what can I say? I love it, ha. The reservoir was covered in sun, which was fabulous, except for the fact that I had forgotten my sunglasses, ha. And it also smelled like low tide in the sunny parts, haha. As I made my way around the loop the smells were very pungent...from low tide, to the flowers on the trees and other random park aromas or odors (depending). So I was able to make it around one loop of the reservoir without stopping again, but this time in 17 minutes! Woohoo! hahaha...hey, I'll take any kind of accomplishment. And then I walked most of the second loop, until I sprinted the last leg. I felt good this morning and I'm not hobbling too badly at the moment, ha.
Today was a good day...I did that run and made it back to my apartment before my usual wakeup time, ha. And now I have the rest of the day to relax (well, I guess I should get some work done, ha)...but I'm proud I was able to get up and go. One day at a time, I say, ha. Tomorrow is another off day and Thursday I'm up and early again. This weekend is Boston for the fourth, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a run in. I'm still deciding if I should bring my sneakers or not, ha...the thought of a run just doesn't seem too realistic, ha. I'm just being honest.
Alrighty, well...that's my story today. Thanks for the support!
peace.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment