Sunday, June 28, 2009

First weekend of "training"

Since I was so amped to run from Friday I honestly woke up on Saturday raring to go, ready to learn how to run for fun (if that is even possible). However, for the first time in about a month, it was actually a gorgeous day and was getting kind of warm. I wasn't sure I could run in the weather my first day, well...really, I was nervous, ha. So instead my mama gave me the great idea of going rollerblading along the river, which I haven't done in absolutely forever. Rollerblading is great because I really need to work on my cardio, not so much full out strength, since I've been doing a lot of rock climbing over the past six months.

So after breakfast I set out for the river with my rollerblades. It was a gorgeous day and really, there's nothing better than going along the river with the wind in my face. I had even forgotten my Ipod, but it just didn't matter. Whenever I'm near water, I don't need any other distractions. I ended up going pretty far down, past Christopher St., starting at 59th St. At this point along the river I was far enough south to sit and look at the Statue of Liberty for a while, which is always an amazing sight, along with the neighboring Ellis Island. I had stopped at a running station prior to taking a little break, where I picked up a little map of the trail and learned that my trip had taken me four miles down the river, so my round trip would be eight miles. Not too shabby for my first day out. After my trip along the river I went home and collapsed and relaxed to the sounds of Wimbledon. Really...what's better than that? hahaha.


Today I woke up and still energized to run...I was amazed. I had talked to my friend Courtney last night about running throughout Central Park and the different ways of doing so. My favorite running section would be around the reservoir (since I'm such an avid runner that I have a favorite section, ha...I've really only ran there like five times). So that's where my training would take me today. Around the reservoir is about 1.6 miles, so not a bad loop to start out on. I headed down to the Y on 63rd, since that is where my sneakers have been living since my last trip to the Y (which will be an undisclosed number of weeks ago, ha). Figuring out what to do with my membership card and the key to my lock was my first task. The card went in my left shoe, the key was initially in my right shoe, but quickly made it's way onto my bracelet. I walked the 20 blocks or so up to the reservoir, did my stretches and set out. What was on my Ipod you might ask? I have been admittedly obsessed with the newly released HAIR soundtrack from the new Broadway production. The great protest chants and high energy numbers are great for running. I ran one loop around the reservoir in about 18 minutes, I was proud, ha. I kept going another time around mostly walking this time until I was ready to run the last 1/4 mile or so. This run felt great actually, I was proud.

Throughout the run I had switched the key from my bracelet to my shoelace. Once I got back to the Y I quickly realized that the key was no longer on my shoelace. There goes another lock...(about a year ago I had a combination lock, but forgot the combination, ha...so that one had to be cut off my locker)...sadly this one would have to be cut off too. That ends that day of training.


Today was a great day though. I never thought I'd be able to make it through even one loop around the reservoir without stopping at least once, but I did. It was while I was running around the reservoir when I thought to start this blog. So, I hope someone beyond me is actually reading this, ha.

My brother is the most important thing to me, so the fact that I am able to do this for him is so overwhelming. So please, send your support...ideas for songs to keep me energized while running...really anything. I'd love to hear from any or all of you!


peace.

2 comments:

  1. Sonny- what an amazing journey you will be doing these next few months! I look forward to reading the chronicles of your training!!

    -Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you!!! You are off to a GREAT start!
    -Col

    ReplyDelete