Tuesday, September 28, 2010

4 Miles Or Bust!

I am in a rut...a 3 mile rut, that is. My schedule has kind of been all over the place the past few weeks between jury duty and Fordham Homecoming, that I haven't been able to get myself past a 3 mile run. Yes, this is frustrating. No, I'm not letting it get me down...or at least I'm trying not to.

Last week I bought some new sneakers, and well...they're pretty schnazzy (aka blue sparkly sections on the heels!). I went back to my tennis roots, with some Mizuno running sneakers (who knew they existed?). I was excited to get in my first run with these sneakers, with dreams that they'd make me run faster and less sore. Alas, PF Flyers they are not. I went for my run this morning, and well...I was not jumping higher or running faster. I ran like I normally do. The first mile and a half were kind of hard on me, since I hadn't run in a week and the stop and go nature of city running isn't always easy. I then got my sh*& together and decided to run full force back. I was able to pick up my speed on the second half and felt better knowing I was still on my normal pace, even after a horrible first half of my run.

I have been getting slightly discouraged with how hard it still is to get out of bed, and how I am not at the mileage I'd like to be. I realized this morning while running (because what else can you do while running but think) that I have put some large expectations on myself since this is the second time I'm doing this. While yes, I'd love to better my time and truly run in a more efficient and comfortable manner, I need to realize that I am still me and I can only do my best. Running is not something that comes natural to me (as I always say, I always played defense in all of my sports...I hit people, I never ran after them), and the fact that I am doing this at all if a major feat for me. I need to remember to have fun and just keep that picture of the little guy in my head. So, on Thursday I will run 4 miles...that is a promise to myself. I will get out of this 3 mile slump and continue having fun in the process.


peace and new shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment