Yes...that is exactly what I did on July 5th in Boston that caused me to go to the ER and get a stitch in my knee. I have not run in the past month and a half because of this injury and this morning I thought it was time. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I opted just to do 1.5miles. Nice and easy, right? I'll admit that since I knew this wouldn't take very long, I still slept a bit later than the usual workout wakeup time. I got dressed and felt ready. My new cell phone has an app on it that can track your run...super handy. So I took my phone and my water bottle and headed out to my concrete track. And...two blocks later my hair started to fall out of the ponytail, ha. So I then had to immediately stop, fix the hair (so important to have a tight ponytail while running, ha) and continue.
As I was running the pain in my knee was front and center. I knew it'd be there, just wasn't sure how bad. I definitely was able to run through it and just knew it'd be sore the rest of the day. I could feel myself correcting my gait to protect my knee, something I'm not too fond of doing. I also noticed that my endurance isn't exactly where it was a month and a half ago. While I have been swimming and biking every so often, endurance is different for every exercise. I was a little disappointed, because I was only doing 30 blocks, 1.5 miles (or 1.63 according to my phone, ha), and I was winded...ready to just stop and walk. I continued on at my pace, my average minute per mile being around 12, which is pretty good for me (I know, I'm a crap runner, you'll have to get used to it, ha), and I pulled through.
One thing I can say about me and exercise is this...my face reddens extremely fast and stays that way for quite a while. When I got home and upstairs I could feel the fire that was my face. I used to get pulled out of sports games when I was little because my coaches thought I was about to pass out, I cannot control the fact that blood loves to rush to my face, ha. Today, however, I knew it was different. I have to accept the fact that I'm just starting out running again and it'll take me a few tries to get up to where I was. My knee is sore today, but not nearly as sore as I thought it would be. I can run through the pain and keel over afterwards, at least that's what I think I can do, ha.
My training for this sprint triathlon definitely hasn't been what it could have been, and I blame some of that on Boston's South Station escalator, but I know most of the responsibility lays on me. We'll see how I do on that day, but for now I'm glad I got out and ran and still have it in me. Every little bit at a time.
And to end this post, a fun fact for the day: The Camp Rock 2 premiere is across the street from my office at the moment and the red carpet hoopla is happening right now. Let me tell you, there is nothing like hundreds of teenage girls screaming every five seconds. It really warms the heart.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment